Know Before You Fly
Know Before You Fly is an education campaign that provides unmanned aircraft operators with guidance and information allowing them to fly safely and responsibly. This applies to recreational users, business users, and public entities.
It was founded by the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI), the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), and the Small UAV Coalition in partnership with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to educate prospective users about the safe and responsible operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
Effective August 29, 2016, the Small UAS Rule (Part 107) sets forth the rules for non-recreational operation of small drones in the United States. The FAA provides these resources:
- Summary of the Small UAS Rule (PDF)
- Small UAS Advisory Circular - How to Use the Rule (PDF)
- Complete Text of the Small UAS Rule
- Part 107 Knowledge Test Prep
- How to fly a UAS for your work or business
- Waivers to Certain Small UAS Operating Rules
- Waiver Guidance for Small UAS Operators, a short video.
Small UAV Coalition
The Small UAV Coalition was formed to advocate for commercial, consumer, recreational, and philanthropic use of UAVs by removing "unnecessary policy or regulatory hurdles that impede small UAV development, sales, job creation, and services."
- 3D Robotics. North America’s largest consumer drone manufacturer. 3DR platforms also serve as tools for data analysis, enabling mapping, surveying, 3D modeling, and more.
- Aerialtronics. Designs, produces, and services unmanned aircraft systems. Aerialtronics’ core product line is the Altura.
- Airware. Enables customers to tailor drones to commercial applications by connecting aircraft, sensors, payloads, and application-specific software.
- Amazon Prime Air. The goal of this future Amazon delivery system is to get packages into customers’ hands in 30 minutes or less using unmanned aerial vehicles.
- DJI Innovations. Develops and manufactures small UAS for commercial and recreational use.
- Google[x]’s Project Wing. Developing a delivery system that uses self-flying vehicles.
- GoPro. Sells action cameras and accessories.
- Parrot. Creates, develops, and markets consumer products for smartphones and tablets. Entered the UAV market in 2010 with the first quadricopter piloted via Wi-Fi on smartphone. Now Parrot it offers several models and owns senseFly.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Sites
The FAA selected six UAS Test Sites to "promote critical research into the certification and operational requirements necessary to safely integrate these systems into our national airspace."
The six UAS Test Sites:
- Alaska - University of Alaska. Includes test ranges in Hawaii, Oregon, Kansas, and Tennessee.
- North Dakota - North Dakota Department of Commerce.
- Nevada - State of Nevada. The Nevada Institute for Autonomous Systems (NIAS) promotes the integration of autonomous systems in Nevada. The NIAS identified Reno-Stead Airport as one of the testing ranges available in the state of Nevada for UAS testing.
- New York - New York's Griffiss International Airport. Includes test range locations in Massachusetts and Michigan.
- Texas - Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
- Virginia - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Includes test ranges in New Jersey and Maryland.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems News
- AIN Online: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Covers civil and military UAS, UAVs, and RPAS of all kinds and sizes, including those used for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), combat (unmanned combat air vehicles, or UCAVs), law enforcement, research and other applications.
- All Things That Fly An audio podcast that covers R/C but also sUAS topics.
- The Drone Dude Podcast Interviews with pilots, designers, programmers, companies, policy makers, enthusiasts, and experts of drones / UAVs / sUAVs.
- Drone Law This blog relates news and developments in the law governing drones and unmanned aircraft systems. Produced by a Flodida law firm with a UAS practice.
- droneport Impartial original reporting for those who build, fly, operate, and maintain drones.
- Drone Radio Show A weekly podcast series about drones and the people who use them.
- DronesDrones.com Drone news, blog, marketing services for the drone indusrty, calendar of drone industry events, directory of companies.
- Inside Unmanned Systems This publication targets unmanned system engineers, system integrators, product designers, and unmanned program and policy leaders. It provides news and analysis, independent reports, and product design and application reviews.
- Multirotor Podcast A detailed look at flying multirotors.
- Plane-ly Spoken In this blog, contributors discuss topics such as recent decisions and litigation, legal trends, airworthiness directives, regulatory interpretations, FAA counsel opinions, and FAA enforcement actions.
- That Drone Show Sarah Oneal and David Oneal present a weekly video podcast, streamed live and then available in an edited version. They're on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- sUAS News Small Unmanned Aircraft System industry news for professionals.
- UAS Magazine A quarterly publication with developments and technologies for unmanned aerial systems in the civil, agriculture, defense and commercial markets worldwide. "For Commercial Manufacturers and Operators."
- UAS Today This audio podcast and website looks at current and future applications of unmanned aerial systems.
- UAS Vision An independent global forum for the Unmanned Aircraft Systems community with a daily news service covering Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS).
- The UAV Digest A weekly audio podcast covering unmanned aerial vehicles and systems.
- UAVwire Monitoring and curating current civilian unmanned aerial vehicle news. Also, an audio podcast with civilian UAV news in about ten minutes.
- Uvonline.com A global news and business information service for the unmanned systems community.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Magazines
- Drone360 A resource for anyone interested in unmanned aerial vehicles as a business, as a hobby, as a passion.
- Drones These multirotor experts get into the tech and technique of flying multirotors. Formerly called MultiRotor Pilot Magazine.
- Rotor Drone Magazine
- Unmanned Systems magazine The monthly magazine of AUVSI.
- Unmanned Systems Technology magazine Focuses on the innovative engineering that's pushing boundaries on land, in the air, at sea, and beyond.
- Unmanned Vehicles A bi-monthly publication for the unmanned systems industry.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Manufacturers
- 3D Robotics Provides fully-autonomous aircraft and open-source UAV technology that deliver professional performance. Ready-to-fly vehicles and components are available for purchase in the Online Store.
- A2TECH - Advanced Aviation Technology Their primary focus is the development of a new generation of unmanned vehicle Ground Control Cockpits and avionic solutions for civil applications.
- AAI Corporation Produces unmanned air vehicles (UAVs), including the Shadow 200 and Shadow 600 models.
- Aerial Information Systems Corporation AISC provides a range of remote sensing and advertising products and services using small UAVs. AISC also builds its own line of small UAVs and payloads.
- Aerialtronics International Design, production, and service of unmanned aircraft systems. Their core product line is the four and eight-rotor Altura multicopters.
- Aeryon Labs Inc. Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS), including the Scout and SkyRanger quadcopters, as well as imaging and custom payloads.
- Aerosight Innovations An unmanned aircraft distributor and manufacturer that promotes civil uses of such designs. Offering video and still camera solutions for remotely piloted vehicle applications, including aerial photography, airborne media presentations, and surveillance.
- The Aerosonde Robotic Aircraft A small, economic, and operationally flexible UAV with a flight capability in excess of 30hrs/3000km and designed for meteorological and environmental observations, and surveillance over oceanic, remote, and hazardous areas.
- Aero Telemetry Corporation Designs and manufactures full-sized unmanned air vehicles, as well as integrated telemetry systems and related subsystem components for military and commercial applications. Also, they sell and service Microdyne telemetry related products.
- Aerovel Flexrotor A fixed wing for long endurance, this UAV is a tailsitter that allows vertical take off and landing. Intended for sites with restricted access.
- AeroVironment Develops breakthrough aerial vehicles for a wide range of applications, including unmanned aircraft for communications, reconnaissance and research, as well as high-altitude unmanned solar-electric airplanes.
- Aibotix GmbH Producing the Aibot X6 hexacopter for the industrial inspection, aerial mapping, film, and science industries.
- Airborne Autonomous Systems AAS's primary focus is pursuing the civil and commercial UAV market with a proprietary aircraft (HOVTOL). AAS expects to make manned versions in addition to UAV's.
- Alliance LP Drones Ltd Supplying UAV platforms in Southeast Asia - multicopter and fixed-wing.
- Applied Research Associates, Inc. ARA produces the Nighthawk IV UAS, launched by hand or tube with GPS and a built-in autopilot. It weighs 1.6 pounds, has a 60 minute flight time, and a range of over 10km.
- Arcturus UAV Standard configuration and application-specific fixed-wing airframe design and manufacturing.
- Ascending Technologies AscTec multicopters for aerial imaging, industrial inspection, and remote sensing.
- Aurora Flight Sciences Develops robotic aircraft, rapid prototyping of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), composite and metal manufacturing, fault-tolerant software, and UAV flight services.
- BCB International This Welsh designer and manufacturer of survival and protective equipment offers the 198 gram SQ-4 RECON micro UAV for surveillance.
- BirdsEyeView Aerobotics The FireFLY6 has a Y6 configuration, can takeoff and land vertically, hover and maneuver like a multicopter, and transition to efficient forward flight.
- Brock Technologies Inc. Offers a broad range of innovations for the Unmanned Systems market, including aerial and ground systems, sensors, custom composites, field support equipment, and software. The team of engineers and technicians focus on supporting customers in the research, military, and commercial arenas by providing integrated solutions. They produce the AV8-R and EEL UAV along with a variety of support equipment for unmanned systems.
- Challis-Heliplane UAV Smooth easy transition from hover to cruise, excellent control in the hover, capable of autorotation-engine off emergency landing, capable of high rate of descent, can be scaled to meet various civilian or military needs.
- Cyberhawk Remotely Operated Aerial Vehicles (ROAVs) for industrial inspections and land surveying.
- Cyber Technology An Australian-based UAV designer and manufacturer providing international UAV solutions.
- Dassault Aviation Poducing the nEUROn European UCAV technology demonstrator.
- DJI Chinese manufacturer of Phantom, Inspire, and other multi-rotors.
- Drone America A provider of autonomous unmanned vehicles and services for commercial, defense, and humanitarian markets, including the Ariel ScooperDrone, UNR Phoebus III, NV State Phoebus III, and DAx8 Multirotor RC UAS.
- Elbit Systems Offers a range of UAS, from the man-portable Skylark® I-LE mini UAS, through tactical UAS, and up to the Hermes® 900 medium altitude long endurance (MALE) UAS.
- General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. Dedicated to the design, development, and manufacture of unmanned aircraft surveillance systems and associated hardware.
- Hoverfly Aerial multi-copters, flight controllers, gimbal stabilizers, and ground control stations for commercial, industrial, and personal use. , Also, a tethered drone giving unlimited flight time.
- Hoverstorm A tiltrotor quad.
- Insitu Design, development, production, and operation of high-performance, unmanned aircraft systems, including the ScanEagle, Integrator System, and RQ-21A Blackjack. A Boeing Company.
- Integrated Dynamics Design, consultancy, and turn-key project commissioning for Unmanned Autonomous Vehicle (UAV) and Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV) systems. Target and decoy UAVs, surveillance UAVs, flight control and navigational systems, ground control stations, and more.
- Israel Aerospace Industries Supplies aerial photography and surveillance systems in the commercial space: from single drone aerial photography to multi-mission surveillance and monitoring services for companies, organisations, and even individuals.
- Latitude Engineering Engineering, operations, and training relating to Unmanned Aerial Systems. Developing a new concept in VTOL flight for unmanned systems.
- Lehmann Aviation Provides fully-autonomous high-performance UAS for professional civil applications. Two lines of light aircraft (around 1kg), launched by hand, with a built-in autopilot. The policy of the company is to provide rugged, extra easy to use and highly affordable professional UAVs. The company was founded in 2005 and is headquartered in France.
- Lonsan Aircraft Unmanned RPV RC airships with a 1000 meter control range, 30 KM range UAV airships, one-man airships, and tethered airships.
- Marcus UAV Systems Manufacturer of the low-cost Marcus UAV systems for distribution to the private sector. These offer video and sound on demand, and are an alternative to flying traditional aircraft for surveillance, aerial photography, exploration, disaster recovery, and other uses.
- Mist Mobility Integrated Systems Technology Inc. MMIST produces the SnowGoose UAV, an aerial cargo delivery UAV with up to 575 pounds of autonomous cargo delivery. Safe and accurate delivery of critical supplies and aerial services in support of search and rescue, humanitarian relief, and military operations in hostile environments. Also, they produce GPS-guided parachute delivery systems in use by various national military organizations.
- MLB Company A manufacturer of small, low-cost UAV's. Complete turn-key systems, UAV flight services, instruction, and custom UAV's including VTOL designs.
- Northrop Grumman A manufacturer of unmanned systems, including the Global Hawk, Firebird, Fire Scout, Euro Hawk, SandShark, and others.
- PrecisionHawk The Lancaster fixed-wing platform offers in-the-air flight path calculations and data assessment. Visual, multispectral, thermal, LiDAR, and hyperspectral sensors.
- Proxy Aviation Systems, Inc. Develops advanced Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for use by the United States military, the Department of Homeland Security, and in emerging civil and international applications. Proxy offers two unmanned air vehicle platforms: the SkyWatcher and the SkyRaider heavy payload UAV. The aircraft operate concurrently in flight, with as many as 12 air vehicles, to achieve Group Tactical Goals, under the SkyForce Distributed Management System (DMS).
- Rotomotion Designs, manufactures, and operates helicopter robots (UAV) and aerial robotic systems designed to be affordable aerial platforms for small cameras and other sensor payloads for aerial photography, surveillance, and research.
- Scion UAS Developing and delivering vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) carbon-fiber small unmanned aerial systems that are ideal for ship-based or other applications where a runway is not available.
- Shenzhen MicroMultiCopter Aero Technology Co., Ltd. MMC specializes in multi-rotor UAVs and conducts multi-rotor system development, production, sales, and service, primarily for commercial applications.
- Silvertone UAV This UAV design comes from a need for a low capital cost surveillance tool for large farm and property owners. It has a mission duration of 10 hours and a quick change payload pannier that can be replaced to re-configure the aircraft quickly for different missions.
- Soko Z.I. An aerospace company located in Zagreb, Croatia with a multidisciplinary team developing high-tech products such as unmanned aerial vehicles and flight simulators.
- Stark Aerospace This defense contractor produces unmanned aerial systems, sensors, and engineering products. An IAI North America company.
- SteadiDrone Quadcopters, camera gimbals, flight controllers, downlink kits.
- Titan Aerospace Solar powered aircraft designed to operate at 65,000 feet for five years as "Atmospheric Satellites" providing imaging, voice and data services.
- Trimble Trimble UAS Aerial Imaging solutions for aerial surveys.
- Vanguard Defense Industries VDI pecializes in custom-made unmanned aerial vehicles for military, law enforcement, and commercial applications.
- Vantage Robotics The Snap quadcopter packs compactly, snaps together, features a gimbal-stabilized camera, 20 minute flight time, magnetic breakaway architecture.
- VulcanUAV Standard, custom, and bespoke multi-rotor UAV systems for commercial applications. Off the shelf airframes and a full design, prototyping, and production service.
- Xerospace The Hong Kong maker of the LM-1 Light Mapping carbon fiber flying wing aircraft, and the Li-1 Light Intelligence fixed-wing aircraft. Also, data processing and management solutions for companies who already operate aircraft.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Suppliers
- Aerobotic Solutions UAV solutions for law enforcement, security personnel, search and rescue and emergency responders, and commercial industries. Custom Phantom builds, accessories, and DIY parts.
- Drone World Selling DJI products and accessories online: Phantom kits, GoPro, Futaba, and Zenmuse.
- Drones Den Drones for sale (DJI, Parrot), accessories and replacement parts, and a blog with drone news, tutorials, and stories.
- DSLRPros Independent film equipment and aerial film-making specialists with expertise in the technology and delivery of aerial unmanned systems for personal and professional use. DSLR drones, aerial film rig kits, UAV components and accessories.
- heliPal UAVs, multirotors, FPV systems.
- Multicopters Ltd A UK online store specialising in multi-rotor parts and accessories.
- Quadrocopter providing solutions for multirotor aerial video / photo applications with an online store offers a selection of multi-rotor and aerial related products.
- Ritewing RC Offering the Zephyr fixed-wing ARF kit, and also the Spade.
- UAV Direct Selling high performance small unmanned aerial vehicles for commercial and recreational use. They making aerial photography and videography accessible to professional photographers, cinematographers, and hobbyists.
Unmanned Aircraft System Components & Systems
- Advanced Microwave Products AMP designs and manufactures rugged RF and microwave products for UAV, military, and surveillance applications, including compact UHF, L-band, S-Band, and C-band video transmitters and receivers.
- Aegis Electronic Group, Inc. A distributor for cameras and peripherals for UAVs and other related applications. Experienced with imaging, technical support, and integration of imaging equipment for technical applications.
- Airborne Innovations A supplier of advanced UAV systems including SatCam imaging for UAV's, and Aircraft Icing Conditions Detection systems. SatCam is a miniature satellite communications imaging solution, compatible with the Iridium satellite network, that enables remote imaging anywhere in the world, anytime, for small over the horizon capable UAVs. The system combines the best available low bandwidth optimized image compression technology with a robust image transmission protocol capable of transmitting streaming still images over ultra low bandwidth links.
- Analytical Graphics Inc. UAV and aircraft mission analysis software.
- Avalon RF State-of-the-art wireless links that include receivers, transmitters, remote display units (RDU's) and a variety of specialized antennas. Applications include unmanned vehicles, as well as security, broadcasting and cinematography, and consumer (fast H.264 over POTS Lines).
- CDL Systems Delvelops Vehicle Control Station Software (VCS), an intergrated command control and information system for the control and monitoring of unmanned aerial, land, and sea based vehicles. The VCS 4586 complies with NATO's 4586 UAV interoperability standards and is currently being utilized in the US Army's "One System."
- Controp USA A privately owned company specializing in the development and production of Electro-Optical and Precision Motion Control Systems, including stabilized observation payloads for surveillance and directional antenna pedestals for UAV's.
- Guided Systems Technologies Development and application of advanced guidance, navigation, and control system technology for a variety of fixed and rotary-wing UAV systems. Estimation, path planning, obstacle/collision avoidance products and technology, as well as R&D, engineering, integration, and flight services.
- Eagle Tree Systems First Person View components, sensors, inertial stabilizer.
- IATech Manufactures and develops a suite of integrated GPS IMU, GPS INS, orientation sensors for unmanned air vehicles (UAV), unmanned ground vehicles (UGV), unmanned underwater vehicles (UUV), and specialized remote sensing applications.
- ING Robotic Aviation Airborne sensing solutions and commercial services.
- Meggitt Defense Systems A designer and manufacturer of aerial towed vehicle systems and related equipment for special applications. (Threat simulation scenarios for combat readiness training, and weapon testing evaluation.)
- MicroPilot Low-cost miniature autopilots suitable for UAV and RPV use which provide airframe stabilization and autonomous GPS navigation. Many UAV experimenter's links.
- MosaicMill Ltd. Provides EnsoMOSAIC UAV software for automatic calculation of rectified image mosaics from digital camera imagery captured by UAV systems. EnsoMOSAIC processes accurate Google Earth and GIS-ready image maps.
- Northwest UAV Propulsion Systems NWUAV builds UAV engines and support systems to meet the high volume demands of companies that utilize Unmanned Engine Systems required in air, land and sea vehicles.
- Panoptes UAV Maker of the eBumper sensors and avionics designed to autonomously avoid collisions with other objects. Initially for the DJI Phantom with other models to come.
- RCAT Systems Manufacturer of wireless electronics and data acquisition/telemetry solutions for unmanned systems and experimental aircraft.
- Robonic Ltd. Site for pneumatic UAV launchers.
- SkySpecs Provides collision avoidance technologies to unlock the airspace around obstacles. The platform-agnostic, drop-in WingMan module lets pilots focus on mission objectives, instead of flight safety.
- Team Blacksheep Components and upgrades for sUAS.
- Teledesign Systems, Inc. A manufacturer of wireless modems and radio modems for commercial and industrial applications, including UAV operation. Their radio modem sends "radio data" across narrow band spectrum or narrow band licensed spectrum.
- Teledyne Technologies Gas turbine engines for unmanned military aircraft, including remotely piloted vehicles, missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- UAV Propulsion Tech A U.S. technical representative company that markets German and Australian technology into the US Unmanned Aerial Vehicle market. These solutions include consumer off the shelf (COTs) and custom propulsion (Hirth Motors, Orbital Australia Pty. Ltd) and servo solutions (Volz Servos), as well as rescue/recovery parachute solutions (ProtectUAV) that protect high value air vehicle and payload assets from damage.
- Ucman Aviation Company A recovery parachute manufacturer for different types of UAV's. The system contains a deployment bag, pilot chute, riser and connector link.
- Unav, Inc. Low-cost INS/GPS autopilot systems for unamanned guidance and control.
- weControl Flight control systems for unmanned aerial vehicles.
Insurance for Unmanned Aircraft
- American International Group, Inc. AIG offers coverage solutions designed for the exposure faced by remotely piloted, semi-autonomous, and fully autonomous aircraft.
- Costello Insurance Associates, Inc. Providing UAV/drone insurance for businessesin most US States.
- Coverdrone A UK specialist providing insurance for unmanned aircraft systems.
- Driessen Assuradeuren This Lloyd’s of London approved coverholder can cover third party liability, physical loss and/or damage and premises, products and hanger keepers liability for commercial UAV operators.
- Lehmann Aviation Civil liability insurance worldwide providing coverage for provisions under civil law surrounding the use of civilian drones.
- Transport Risk Management, Inc. Provides UAV Insurance for manufacturers, military, law enforcement, film production, search and rescue, agricultural, and other aerial work uses.
- Travers and Associates UAV Insurance for almost any use. Also, coverage for use of non-owned unmanned aircraft and systems.
- Unmanned Risk Management Coverage for individual UAS owner-operators for hull and liability, commercial general liability, and products liability for UAV manufacturers and distributors.
- Composite Technology Team A small innovative firm with experience in design and manufacture of composite structures. The company offers full UAV service - design, prototyping, production, and testing of UAV's. Experience includes the NT150 UAV project for Swiscopter and Higheye helicopters.
- Flint Hills Solutions An advanced technology and services company with emphasis on the Aerospace and Unmanned Air Systems (UAS) market. They are a partner to many Original Equipment Manufacturers of Unmanned Systems as well as the Kansas National Guard. They offer a full range of UAS products and services focused on Homeland Security as well as State and Local Emergency Response. In addition, FHS specializes on integrating your payloads onto their UAV platforms to meet your unique requirements and needs.
- Hawkeye UAV Ltd Miniature UAV services using the Defence Technology Agency's "Kahu" UAV in New Zealand.
- ISR Group, LLC Providing highly skilled manpower and contracted support for the development and deployment of unmanned vehicle systems in the areas of research and development, production, operations, maintenance, and training.
- SkyTech UAV Solutions Canada Supporting the natural resource based industry with UAVs for for inspections, searches, and monitoring.
- SkyWard Helping UAS operators with regulatory and insurance issues, such as applications for Commercial Certification (Section 333 exemption and COA in the US, SFOC in Canada). Also, custom Operations Manuals and SOPs.
- UAS International Based in Australia and providing support for Unmanned Aviation Systems: consulting, sales, legal, and insurance.
- UAV Advanced Systems Ltd Advanced design of UAV aircraft and avionics packages, including UAV training systems.
- Unmanned Experts Provision of targeted solutions to specific UAV / UAS requirements, management or mentorship of UAV / UAS programs, UAS training course development and instruction, on-call dedicated UAS / UAV subject matter experts.
- XFLY Systems Aerial media professionals, UAV contractors, academic R&D departments, resident experts, and others provide professional aerial videography sUAS products, production using sUAS, sUAS training and certification via Unmanned Vehicle University, and sUAS business consulting services.
UAV Schools and Training
- AOPA: Unmanned Aircraft and the National Airspace System This is an interactive online course from the Air Safety Institute, with support from the Department of Defense. Directed toward pilots, it provides an introduction to UAS, UAS structure, safety considerations, flying with UAS operations nearby, and resources. It concludes with a quiz.  (AOPA web registration required.)
- Columbia University Tow Center for Digital Journalism.
- The Drone Professor A variety of courses offered by a Certified Instructor. Training for LEO, SAR, and EMS.
- Drone University USA UAS education and training courses focused on safety and compliance. Classroom curriculum, flight simulators, and hands on flight instruction in several locations.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Bachelor of Science in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Science.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Master of Science in Unmanned and Autonomous Systems Engineering.
- Fly Robotics An sUAS ground and flight school designed by former Military UAS Flight Instructors. Educational content developed with the objective of passing the FAA Commercial sUAS Operator Exam. Instructors have over 7,500 operational hours of flight in multiple theaters.
- Flysafe Offering a 3-day workshop with radio control aerial photography safety training. For those who want to pilot a UAS with an aerial photography and cinematography mission.
- How to Fly a Multirotor This video provides tips for newbies, from FlightTest.
- Kansas State University Salina Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- University of Missouri Drone Journalism Program.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln The Drone Journalism Lab at the College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
- University of North Dakota Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics, major in Unmanned Aircraft System Operations.
- Northland Community & Technical College Maintenance on unmanned aircraft systems.
- Portland State University Autonomous Vehicles Team The team designs autonomous vehicles to compete in competitions.
- Oklahoma State University UAS graduate programme.
- RPAS Training & Solutions Individual remote pilot training, company UOC manual development, and training for CASA Certification. Weekly courses across Australia.
- Simlat Ltd. A provider of next generation mission-training solutions for the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle/System (UAV/UAS) and the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) industry. Simlat provides high-end ISR and UAV/UAS mission training systems and simulators and additional professional services and instructors.
- Strategic Aerospace International A drone pilot training center in Roswell, New Mexico with a three month program. The SAI curriculum is offered at 48 colleges and universities, and will use this irspace to fly the UAVs.
- Unmanned Experts This UAS consultancy provides training such as ground school and a Small UAS Multi-rotor Aerial Photography course.
- Unmanned Safety Institute Using time-honored aviation safety and training practices to provide professional training for UAS operators and proponents.
- Unmanned Vehicle University Online curriculum for Doctorate and Masters Degrees in Unmanned Systems Engineering, and a Certificate in UAS Project Management.
Drone Detection and Defense
- Drone Detector Proprietary multi-factor authentication determine the confidence level of a threat.
- Droneschield Uses a sensor network to identify unauthorized drones.
- SkyTracker Detects, identifies, tracks, and mitigates UAS threats using proprietary technology.
- Association of Unmanned Aerial Videographers UAVUS is an association of civil and civic commercial UAV operators in the United States, engaged in advocacy and education.
- The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International AUVSI is the world's largest non-profit organization devoted exclusively to advancing the unmanned systems community. AUVSI, with members from government organizations, industry and academia, is committed to fostering, developing, and promoting unmanned systems and related technologies.
- ASTRAEA Autonomous Systems Technology Related Airborne Evaluation & Assessment seeks to enable the routine use of UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) in all classes of airspace without the need for restrictive or specialised conditions of operation. A UK industry-led consortium focusing on the technologies, systems, facilities, procedures and regulations that will allow autonomous vehicles to operate safely and routinely in civil airspace over the United Kingdom.
- Australian Certified UAV Operators Inc. ACUO is a not for profit association created to protect the interests of CASA Certified UAV Operators and promote the growth and expansion of the commercial UAS industry in Australia.
- Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation ARCAA conducts research on aviation automation, with a focus on autonomous technologies which support the more efficient and safer utilisation of airspace, and the development of autonomous aircraft and on-board sensor systems for a wide range of commercial applications.
- ConservationDrones.org Sharing knowledge of building and using low-cost unmanned aerial vehicles for conservation-related applications with conservation workers and researchers worldwide, especially those in developing countries.
- DARPA: High Assurance Cyber Military Systems The HACMS project develops hack proof software for aircraft navigation and control.
- Dronecode Project Established as a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project to foster a common, shared open source platform for UAVs. The Project includes the APM/ArduPilot UAV software platform and associated code.
- Project Wing Building automated aircraft that can deliver cargo quickly, reliably, and with a low carbon footprint.
- Property Drone Consortium A collaboration among insurance carriers, construction industry leaders, and supporting enterprises to promote research, development, and the assessment of regulations for the use of UAS technology across the insurance and construction industries.
- Drone Safety Council The DSC goal is to "inform, investigate, and implement drone safety standards that will become adopted by the drone manufacturers and by global governments for the safety of all concerned."
- ERAST The Environmental Research Aircraft and Sensor Technology program is the U.S. national program for developing remotely piloted aircraft for scientific, humanitarian, and commercial purposes. Sponsored by NASA.
- FAA: Unmanned Aircraft Systems Covering the FAA UAS initiative: UAS roadmap and plan, test sites, general information.
- FLAVIIR A research program looking at technologies for future unmanned air vehicles (UAV) funded jointly by BAE SYSTEMS and EPSRC. The challenge is "to develop technologies for a maintenance free, low cost UAV without conventional control surfaces and without performance penalty over conventional craft."
- FPV UK A non-profit organization for "first person view" pilots. FPV UK works with the regulator for UK aviation, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), on matters pertaining to FPV and recreational model flying.
- National Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Project Office The goal of the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) National Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Project Office is to support the integration of UAS technology into the process employed by USGS scientists to support informed decision making across the Department of the Interior.
- Remote Control Aerial Photography Association A professional association of dedicated remote control aerial photographers. RCAPA provides operational safety guidelines, best business practices, networking and new technology information.
- SkyWard The Urban Skyways Project demonstrates a commercial drone network operated with full regulatory compliance. Conducted with partners from industry and NASA.
- The333.org A site for "the pioneers in Commercial sUAS Operations," and offering a member forum, Section 333 exemption FAQ, and news.
- UAS America Fund Providing financimg for UAS technology development in the form of Public Private Partnership (PPP) model and with financial backing from aerospace companies and investment groups.
- Small UAV Coalition Founded to advocate for the commercial, consumer, recreational, and philanthropic use of UAVs.
- UAS Hub Launched to provide airports, airlines, law enforcement, and the general public with UAS integration information. Sponsored by the Airport Aviation Accelerator, a division of the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE).
- The UAV Systems Association "America's First Commercial Drone Association." Members include manufacturers, distributors, retailers, publishing companies, software publishers, professional photographers, and enthusiasts.
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems Association UAVS is a non-for-profit membership organisation which promotes its members and their and industry's interests. It represents the UAS manufacturing and system integration industry to UK government and UK regulators.
UAV User Groups
- Alaska UAS Interest Group
- DC Area Drone User Group A community of amateur and professional drone users that seeks to promote the responsible use of flying robots for good through education.
- Drone User Group Network DUGN is a large network of civilian drone users. It seeks to foster interest in the use of civilian unmanned aerial technology, and demonstrate its positive potential for humanity. Local groups hold fly-ins and educational events, and organise community service projects.
- Los Angeles & Orange County Drone User Group
- New England UAV user group
- New York City Drone User Group
- PDXDrones A Portland, Oregon group of enthusiasts that gets together to share experiences, success stories, crashes, and projects.
- San Diego Drone User Group The SD DUG is part of the Drone User Group Network, and aims to promote the use of civilian drone technology for the benefit of humanity.
- South Texas Drone User Group
UAS Conferences and Events
- The Unmanned Systems Expo 2016 2-4 February 2016, The Hague.
- Interaerial Solutions Exhibition, forum, flight zone, and marketplace for unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in Europe. It visits a new German city each year in tandem with INTERGEO. The Forum deals with current issues from politics, administration, science and industry. The Flight Zone in the outdoor zone offers live demonstrations of the various flight systems. 11-13 October 2016.
- Drone Berlin 2016 14-15 October 2016.
- Drone Racing League
- Drone Squad Plan and manage your drone racing event with this app while the world spectates live.
- International Drone Racing Association
- MultiGP A competitive racing league for first-person view (FPV) radio-controlled quadcopters.
- World Drone Prix International drone racing in Dubai.
Airport UAS Sites
Other UAS Sites
- Army Technology: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles A good source for detailed data and reference information about UAVs.
- Drone Nodes A site about the latest professional and recreational drone technology.
- Droned Up A multi-rotor social network with forums, videos, reviews.
- FAS - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) A very good source for UAV information with an overview, UAV categories, vehicle descriptions, photos, and specifications. Also links to sources and resources. From the Federation of American Scientists Intelligence Resource Program.
- The Good Drone "The latest news on how drones are being used, in a good way."
- Taking Autism to the Sky The TATTS project uses an sUAS to help children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- UAV Marketspace This web portal is focused principally on commercial (civil) UAV use and application, but it also has a significant set of military UAV airframe resources and links. You can spend a lot of time exploring this site and learning a great deal about this subject.
- Unmanned Vehicles A quarterly publication with a mission to convince key policy makers in industry and governments of the capabilities offered by UVs in difficult environments.
UAS in Agriculture
- Agribotix This drone-based remote sensing company provides imaging and analysis to agricultural clients.
- Drones (UAVs) and Agriculture A blog about using drones for precision agriculture.
- Farming Drones News and content covering UAVs in the agriculture industry.
- Farm Intelligence² Using technology to fundamentally change the way the world feeds itself.
- Geo-Matching.com An independent comparison website for geomatic (including precision agriculture) and hydrographic products. The "UAS for Mapping and 3D Modelling" category lets you compare different UAVs.
- Precision Drone LLC Manufactures hexacopters for use by farmers in assessing the health of their crops.
- RoboFlight Turning geo-referenced aerial and/or satellite remotely sensed data into actionable information. They specialize in processing of imagery from airborne and satellite platforms for agricultural and natural resource management needs in industries including: agriculture, livestock, environmental, wildlife, utilities, and insurance.
- Tellus Agronomics AgriEye Drones Customized quadcopters for agronomists that feature autonomous flight, live video feed, aerial mapping simulator, and RC simulator pre-flight training.
- The Unmanned Farmer The occasional blog of Robert Blair, a Precision Ag Institute Farmer of the Year, and advocate of UAVs in farming.
Aerial Videography, Photography, and Inspections
- AerialWorx A specialist aerial filming and photography company with UK-wide coverage using remotely controlled multi-rotor copters.
- Aerocamera Offering a wide range of equipment for aerial photography and video in Brazil, such as RC helicopters and blimps, camera carriers, telescopic masts and special products. Aerial photo and video services. Consulting about UAV for agriculture and inspection services.
- Gunn Photography Services Aerial photography using UAV helicopters equipped with the Canon 50D and 7D. Based in Atlanta Georgia.
- High Alpha Media High definition close range aerial video and photography by a CASA-approved (Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia) operator of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for the purpose of aerial video and photography work.
- Mass Aerial Productions Specializes in aerial photography and video using UAVs to provide a cost effective and safer alternative to aerial photography/video for residential and commercial real estate in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Multicopter Maui Low altitude high detailed media for marketing projects.
- SkyCamUSA Remote control aerial photography and videography employing a fleet of unmanned aircraft, primarily helicopters capable of high quality digital photography and HD video. They can fly in areas where full size aircraft cannot.
- Skyris Imaging Aerial photography and video for clients in the Portland, Oregon area: agriculture, inspections, real estate and development, marketing imagery.
Public Safety / Law Enforcement
- Public Safety Flight News, information, tips, and stories about the use of unmanned aircraft systems in the fire service, law enforcement, and emergency medical services.
- The Wildlife Conservation UAV Challenge The Challenge is to design low cost UAVs that can be deployed over the rugged terrain of Kruger, equipped with sensors able to detect and locate poachers, and communications able to relay accurate and timely intelligence to Park Rangers.